What Does CBD Oil Taste Like?
Once a holistic health and wellness trend, CBD has officially gone mainstream and can be found just about anywhere these days.
You’ll find the naturally occurring compound at grocery stores, pharmacies, fitness centers, spas — even gas stations. It can be infused into lotions, balms, sprays, chews, and much more, and is beginning to make an appearance as a special ingredient at coffee shops, tea rooms, and taverns.
Praised for its many purported benefits ranging from easing tension to soothing discomfort and everything in between, it goes without saying that CBD is certainly a hot commodity for wellness in today’s fast-paced world. But despite its ever-increasing popularity, there are still some people who are still a bit skeptical about this popular cannabinoid.
While everyone has their own valid reasons to be a little hesitant about hopping on the CBD bandwagon, one of the biggest concerns for many is that they simply won’t like the taste.
After all, many of us are familiar with the indisputably pungent skunk-like aroma of marijuana, and CBD is extracted from the same family of plants. So, before you make a purchase, you may want to make sure that it will taste good — totally understandable!
On its own, pure CBD tastes earthy and even a bit grassy, sometimes with a hint of nuttiness.
CBD oils, however, are made up of various carrier oils, which you also may be able to taste.
Interested in learning more? We can help! Read on as we explore CBD oil to uncover the best-tasting products on the market and how you can best harness its incredible healing powers.
What Exactly Is CBD, Anyway?
Short for cannabidiol, CBD is an all-natural healing extract that comes from either marijuana or hemp plants. Both are cannabis plants, but the difference is that legally, hemp must have less than a 0.3 percent concentration of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) — aka, the psychoactive component found in marijuana that causes the high.
So, What Is CBD Oil?
CBD oil is a versatile oil created by extracting CBD from hemp and can vary in levels of other cannabinoids or plant compounds.
While every brand is different in if and what else they include in their CBD oil, here at Healist we’ve chosen to use the highest quality, organic broad-spectrum hemp extract, which contains CBD and other cannabinoids such as CBDA, CBG, CBC, and CBC, as well as therapeutic plant compounds like amino acids, vitamins, minerals, and terpenes.
Together, these powerful ingredients work in synergy with each other to power your body — as nature intended.*
Hold Up — What Does “Broad-Spectrum” Mean?
Broad-spectrum CBD oil is very popular among cannabidiol users because it features all of the wonderful healing compounds found in hemp — except for THC. This means that you’ll never have to worry about failing a drug test after using your favorite Healist CBD products!
Want THC to get the full version of the entourage effect? Look for full-spectrum hemp extract, which contains around 0.3% THC. While this is far from enough THC to get you high, it works synergistically with CBD to boost its effects.
That said, broad-spectrum does a powerful job even without THC, which is why we use it!
Different Types, Different Tastes
Let’s talk taste.
Most of the time, the noticeable flavor of CBD depends on how the naturally occurring compound is extracted from the plant.
- Full-Spectrum Oil has the full collection of beneficial plant parts, so naturally, it tends to taste a bit like hemp. Producing the strongest flavor in the bunch, if you purchase this type of oil, expect a strong grassy or earthy flavor.
- Broad-Spectrum Oil is personally our favorite. Of course, the taste can vary from product to product, but this oil’s flavor typically ranges from slightly citrusy to earthy or herbal.
- CBD Isolate is CBD in its purest form. Unlike full-spectrum and broad-spectrum, it’s been filtered free of other compounds such as terpenes and therefore offers less of a grassy taste. In fact, other than tasting a bit bitter, CBD isolates really shouldn’t have any distinctive flavor at all.
- Crude CBD Oil is pure CBD in oil form that has been extracted from the plant but not processed. We’ll be honest with you — this type of oil doesn’t taste good, or at least, it’s an acquired taste. Often thick and syrupy in consistency, crude CBD oil looks like dark green or brown sludge because it still contains all of the plant waxes and chlorophyll.
What Are Terpenes?
A class of aromatic compounds responsible for the characteristic scent in many plants, terpenes are found in high concentrations in cannabis, giving marijuana its distinct cannabis flavors.
There are thousands of different types of terpenes— each with its own unique medicinal properties — with our favorite hemp plant containing around 200 of them. Depending on what terpenes are found in your CBD oil, the taste can vary from a strong and pungent grassy flavor to a light and mild citrusy flavor.
What Are Carrier Oils?
When your CBD oil is being made, carrier oil is added into the mix to help dilute the plant extract. This can greatly influence your CBD oil’s taste and flavor.
Some of the most common carrier oils used for CBD include:
- Hemp Seed Oil. This popular oil provides a nutty flavor reminiscent of sunflower seeds or walnuts.
- Olive Oil. If you’re a fan of strong earthy flavors, then CBD mixed with olive oil is right up your alley.
- Coconut Oil. When coconut oil is refined, it really doesn’t provide too much of a flavor. That said, it is light and fresh, but the natural flavor of the CBD oil is usually stronger and will typically take the main stage.
- MCT Oil. Since it virtually has no taste or smell, MCT oil is a popular choice that won’t conflict with the natural flavor of CBD. Here at Healist, we add natural flavorings like citrus and peppermint to our products, so we like to use organic MCT oil to prevent a clash of contradicting flavors. With our CBD oil, you can expect great quality and great taste every time.
What Are Flavorings?
For those who want to start using CBD oil but can’t get over the grassy taste, stick with a brand that adds flavorings like mixed berry, citrus, or peppermint to help make the product more palpable. That being said, not all flavorings are created equal and are sometimes artificial, which can lead to uncomfortable allergic reactions or digestive discomfort.
When buying CBD oil, always read the small print on the packaging to ensure you’re getting natural flavorings instead of the artificial stuff.
With Healist, you’ll never find synthetic ingredients in our products. Our CBD oil is vegan, cruelty-free, non-GMO, and 100% natural. What’s not to love?
There are a ton of CBD products on the market today, but if you’re searching for the best of the best — look no further and check out Healist!
Made with you and your wellness in mind, our CBD is truly one-of-a-kind. Across each product, we’ve paired CBD with clinically backed active natural ingredients designed to power your body’s innate capacity to find sleep, calm, relief, and overall well-being.*
We use safe, proven ingredients given to us from the earth to minimize any potential negative reactions. Never using anything synthetic, we believe in cultivating your body’s essential processes — not hijack them.
To avoid the grassy taste often associated with CBD and to create a delicious experience that’s second to none, we flavor our oil with natural flavors like peppermint, citrusand mixed berry.
So if you’ve been holding back on trying CBD because you’re worried about the taste — we invite you to give us a try. Not only are Healist products undeniably delicious, but they work, too!
Check us out today and experience great-tasting CBD oil tomorrow!